Thursday, January 17, 2008

Gallery hoppin'


Last weekend was full of Gallery fun. On Friday night, we went to the opening of Iain Fraser: Protoplaces at the Millstone Gallery at COCA. Check out this link to see a virtual tour of the show and you can learn more about Iain at his website. If you are in St. Louis, you should really find time to see this show. The forms and spaces Iain has created are fascinating, from the physical construction of each piece to it's stature within the gallery to the shadows created. I just loved it. I think I have some architectural longings in my head.......this coming from a person who actually drew floor plans as a child (ha, it's true!).


And, I was thrilled to find that COCA has St. Louis' very first ArtOMat. I had never seen one "live" before, have only heard about this for years and years. Woo hoo was I excited, so naturally I had to buy a piece (since Iain's faboo work wasn't exactly in my budget) and this is what I got, a gorgeous little abstract by Hulin Pascale. I lovelovelove the piece; it is tiny (size of a cigarette box) but it sure packs a punch. Very lovely, raw and loose, looks to be acrylic and collage on wood. It is absolutely perfect! Thank you so much wherever you are!
Ok, then on Saturday night I headed to Columbia (about 90 miles?) with Rhonda and a friend for her opening at PS Gallery. The opening was a real scene, absolutely jammed with people and outstanding work - a real feast for the eyes. Rhonda's work was great as usual and I love the new evocative work by Joel Sager the uber talented associate curator of the gallery. He is so young and so talented and so energetic with a continual flow of fabulous work. And Jo Stealey, fiber artist extraordinaire. She has constructed these amazing standing books out of hand made paper - woven, painted, with sculptural niches containing paper fruit. My description is an embarrassment because they are truly so amazing I stood in front of them with my mouth hanging open. Just divine.
And so that is that. A lovely inspiring artsy weekend. We are sort of doing it all over this weekend, with a different show of course, one at Art Saint Louis. My piece wasn't accepted at the show but I am excited to see the juror's picks as the shows are always outstanding.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are entering a GIVEAWAY, please add your email address in the event I need to contact you.

To avoid SPAM, please write it like this:
stencilgirlproducts (at) gmail (dot com)