Thursday, October 22, 2009

Whoopie for Carrot Cake Pies



Wednesday is Hump day and we celebrate each week by having dinner with John's daughter and her family. We bring the food and have a mid-week feast that allows us a chance to see our grandkids and enjoy some quality time. We've been doing this for, geez, I can't even remember how long now, but its a tradition we all like.

Today I was out gathering ingredients for a Mexican feast, Carne Asada and Pollo Asada from TJ's plus a bunch of other things. I saw a package of Whoopie pies and they looked so delicious, yet I was deterred by the $4.99 price for just 6 of them. I knew that cake mixes were on sale for $1 at another store.......so, my adventure began.

Having never used a cake mix to bake cookies, I first called my friend Karyl because she has an encyclopedic knowledge of baking stuff. I caught her running errands (so she didn't have recipes at hand) but she said it was definitely do-able and suggested I would find recipes on Google. There were only 1,531,000 of them.....ahem.

So this is what I did:
Take 1 Carrot Cake mix (or the Spice cake mix I think would also be good). Add 1/3 cup oil and 2 eggs, using a hand mixer cause its kinda thick. Then add whatever you want - I added dried cranberries, raisins, shredded carrots, chopped walnuts and chocolate chips. I also added a little canned pumpkin, maybe 1/3 cup or something cause I was worried about moisture.
Bake at 350 for 12 minutes. Cool in the pan then move to a rack. Once they are completely cool, spread Cream Cheese frosting (also on sale today) between 2 cookies. Use tons of icing so it gushes out when you take a bite. I think that's the point, don't you?

4 comments:

  1. wow...you were an adventurous one !!!
    I would have bought the store made ones and called it good...

    but you and your energizer ability just kept going and going and going...

    your family must have loved them and HEY....they were almost healthy with all those ingredients, right ???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:17 AM

    All I can say is "YIKES"!!! You've cracked me up this morning! Have you found a way to consider them breakfast food? You know that you've added enough healthy stuff to consider that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karyl8:18 AM

    Why did that "anonymous" show up? You know it was me...

    ReplyDelete

If you are entering a GIVEAWAY, please add your email address in the event I need to contact you.

To avoid SPAM, please write it like this:
stencilgirlproducts (at) gmail (dot com)